Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 10:47:24 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystem corruption?

Hi,

I've been running -current for a while, the last make world I did was
21/6/98.

The systems been running fine, I had a couple of panic's over the last few
months - but just recently I've been going to load files and found them
corrupt...

Things like:

c---rw---x  844382393/478298378    54 Apr 17 13:21 mezon.config

Doing an rm gets:

rm c---rw---x  844382393/478298378, nochg, unlnk, sunlnk?

Followed by:

operation not permitted.

Any further attempts to remove the file just get:

operation not permitted.

Some files also get random corruption in them...

The filesystem is IDE based - I'm not using async or softupdates etc, just
plain old mount defaults...

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Are there any 'stress' tests I can do on this filesystem? (something a
little less risky/more informative than make worlds?) - the drive as it
stands has /usr/obj mounted on it, but the source for the makeworlds is on
another SCSI...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz