Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:53:51 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allow underscores in DNS names

Barry Pederson wrote:
> > I thought proxy autodetect used wpad.domainname.com or looked up
> > http://domainname.com/wpad.dat ?  All the XP machines here do that.
>
> The underscore in DNS names is showing up in things like RFC2872 (A DNS RR
> for specifying the location of services), and "DNS-based Service discovery"
> as found in Zeroconf/Rendezvous.

Excuse me, but that *particular* underscore is a namespace
escape, and is used *precisely* so that it does *NOT* ever
match a valid host name.

People who want the resource records for specific services
are supposed to use a service lookup API, rahter than a host
name lookup API.

Please read the working group documentation for Zeroconf.

Thanks,
-- Terry "A big fan of zeroconf and the death of DHCP" Lambert