Date:      14 Oct 97 09:45:23 +0100
From:      leifn@swimsuit.roskildebc.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Password protected web site

At 14 Oct 97 06:42:30 ekraj@illumen.com  (2:234/49.99) wrote to Leif Neland regarding Password protected web site in area "freebsd-questions"

 e> 2. I have modified the access.conf file, created an .htaccess
 e> file in the directory I wish to protect, and created an htpasswd
 e> file (using the web interface at euronet). I can access the site
 e> and it will propmpt for a username and password; it will properly
 e> authorize the user and bring up the web page. However, it only
 e> does this the first time the page is accessed. The browser must
 e> be exited and restarted for the pasword prompt to reappear. I am
 e> sure there is a simple fix for this.

Why fix it? It is supposed to work this way. I believe the browser remembers the password requested for the page/site throughout the session. If it didn't you would be prompted for password for each element the page contained.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---