Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2016 06:47:39 -0400
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from FreeBSD 4.1

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:09:34 +0200, Allan Kapoma stated:

>I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 and I want to upgrade the system to a later
>version of FreeBSD.

If you can afford to wait, and you probably can since you have waited
this long, wait until the FreeBSD 11 release which is currently
tentatively scheduled for September 2016. Just do a clean install, you
might want to buy a new drive, and install your packages. This way you
will avoid the bullshit of installing 10.3 or whatever version you
decide on and then if you later update, having to go through the hassle
of rebuilding your ports, etc.

Do it once and be done with it. It is easier and it works.

--
Carmel