Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:15:52 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemptible kernel"

At 09:40 AM 10/16/2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

>Robert Love is writing a patch to make the Linux kernel preemptible,
>and has some interesting ideas about FreeBSD:
>
>http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=328&mode=thread&order=0

Kernel pre-emption is tough to retrofit into a kernel, but not hard
to put in if you're writing one from scratch. SVS' "Integrity"
(http://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/integrity.html) has had it for
quite some time. The RTOS never turns off interrupts, though it does
ignore those that come in while a previous interrupt from the same
source is being handled.

As for SMP: It's probably more efficient to have intelligent I/O
and/or asymmetrical multiprocessing (i.e. one or more CPUs devoted
exclusively to handling non-intelligent peripherals) than to have
multiple general-purpose processors fielding I/O requests.

--Brett