Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 11:07:39 -0500
From:      "William A. Gatliff" <gatliff@cel.cummins.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD interrupt management

Couple'o questions from a FreeBSD newbie:

First, I'd like to study how FreeBSD handles device interrupts for some
embedded (68K-based) work I'm doing.  In particular, I'm interested in how
interrupt processing gets scheduled for both basic, sio-type interrupts, as
well as the more time-critical DMA, disk i/o, and ethernet-type ones.

I've waded around in some 2.0.5 driver code (the 8250, I think), and I'm
stumped. I can't make the connection between when the uart generates the
interrupt and the calling sequence to invoke the driver.  I checked the
handbook, and couldn't find any clues on how device drivers interact with the
kernel, and apparently the 8250 driver isn't basic enough for a lower life
form such as myself. :^)  Can someone point me in a different direction?

I feel compelled to mention that the driver seemed EXTREMELY well-written,
what with all the probing and testing that goes on... I've seen commercial
products that didn't do NEARLY as good a job!!  And you guys do it for free!

Second:

I've FTP'd 2.1, but I can't get the files back into human-readable form...
At present I've no PC to install it on, so how can I unpack the files?
I've tried to emulate what install.sh does, but my tar complains of directory
checksum failures, even if I tell it to ignore them.  What's worse, I can't
get GNU's tar to build on my Sun workstation (Sun-OS 4.1.3_U1).
Seems like the 2.0.5 distributables worked fine with standard Unix tar, but
I've had them so long I can't remember exactly how I broke them...

Thanks from a new (but permanent) FreeBSD fan!

b.g.