Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:59:05 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Paulo Menezes <paulo@centauro.isr.uc.pt>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: out of ptys?

Paulo Menezes wrote in message ID
<Pine.SUN.3.91.960619220518.16170C-100000@centauro>:

> In the LINT file it says that the maximum number of ptys is 64, but in

It does? Whoops. I think the limit is actually 256 now (can someone
confirm this?)

> the telnetd sources it is limited to 32. Why? Is there any problem in
> raising the telnetd limit to 64?

I can't actually find this limit (not obviously anyhow). There is even
a comment:

		/*
		 * This stat() check is just to keep us from
		 * looping through all 256 combinations if there
		 * aren't that many ptys available.
		 */

at line 522 in /usr/src/libexec/telnetd/sys_term.c ...

Gary