Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2016 06:58:45 -0400
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recovering from X "upgrade" disaster [was: how to downgrade X server]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 05:02:18 +0000 (UTC), Will Parsons stated:

>Is there anyone who can give me hope of recovering this system?
>(I *really* don't want to trash it and reinstall.  And even if I did,
>would there be any reason to think it would work?)

I have experienced the same bullshit in the past. That is why I keep a
backup of my critical configuration files; ie., Postfix, Dovecot,
etcetera.

Doing a complete reinstall of the system will probably work just fine.
You undoubtedly have some left over remnants on you machine that are
screwing up the works. Attempting to discover the problem will
undoubtedly take longer than doing a complete reinstall.

By the way, if you do decide to complete reinstall the system, be
careful about using the older configuration files if the applications
they refer to have been updated. Sometimes minuscule changes in newer
configuration files can have adverse results on your system. Check out
all the documentation before reinstalling.

Good luck :)

--
Carmel