Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:09:48 -0500
From:      "Gail M. Pickett" <gmpicket@icx.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and Intel 810 chipset

At 07:50 PM 2/16/00 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>> > I just bought a desktop computer that has an Intel 810 chipset and I am
>> > having trouble setting up XFree86.  I updated to the newly released
version
>> > 3.3.6 which says it supports the Intel 810 chipset (video driver), but I
>> > have been unable to make the thing fly.
>> >
>> > The info from XFree86.org says that it includes support, but it is not
>> > enabled by default as it needs kernel module.  What does that mean?
>> >
>> > In the configuration notes (for the 810 chipset) they say that it is
>> > necessary to install the "agpgart.o" module which accompanies the server.
>> > I have been unable to find this file.  When I find it, how do I
compile it?

>> It only works on Linux.  We need proper AGP support, one of the things
>> that's been on my to-do list for some time now.
>>
>> If there's an aspiring chipset hacker out there looking for a
>> well-defined task to undertake, please let me know and I can get you
>> pointed in the right directions.
>
>There is a good chance that I will tackle this soon. I've been reading
>through PI's agp driver for Linux and I think porting it would be
>reasonably easy (its needed for DRI support on most cards too). The
>license is an X-style one so it should be ok to use it.
>
>--
>Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
>Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 442 9037

I have for the moment setup XFree86 to run the VGA Server in 800x600
resolution.  This works and looks ok.  I would like to be able to use a
higher resolution and more colors, but whatever.  I will be using FreeBSD
on the machine, and thus will remain interested in any progress on a
driver.  I only know the basics of programming, so I would not be much help
writing/porting a driver.

Gail