Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 22:18:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel threads (RE: alphaworks 1.3 linux port)

(I CC:'d to -hackers, perhaps someone can enlighten us wrt. the
availability of kernel threads..)

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Koster, K.J. wrote:

> > > Has anyone had a look at this? Reports are that it's a big
> > > improvement over the BDown stuff. Anyone had a play yet?
> >
> 1.3 is a big improvement over 1.2.2 performancewise, at least on Windows.
>

> > it works great under linux (redhat 6.1) but i wasn't able to
> > get it to run under linux emulation of freebsd 4.0.  if anyone
> > figures it out, i'd love to hear how they did it.
> >
> Could you elaborate on your attempts to get it running? Any error messages
> or irregular behaviour? What version of the linux port were you using?

As I wrote about two weeks ago, I tried to get it running on
relatively up-to-date 5.0-CURRENT. Alphaworks JVM uses native threads on
Linux, which (as far as I understand) are impossible to have right now,
either under Linux emulation or otherwise.

The error message was: sigaltstack: Cannot allocate memory, which after
looking up in the manpage led me to believe that perhaps Linux doesn't add
MINSIGSTKSZ by default to the stack size. Added it to linuxulator in
appropriate places (in linux_signal.c:linux_sigaltstack()), and it stopped
complaining, but started eating 100% CPU. At which point I gave up...

 Obviously, the matter is more complicated than that - that is, it was
shooting in the dark. I know I don't have kernel threads, I was just
curious where it would bomb out.. :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------