Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 09:11:24 +0800 (SST)
From:      SysAdmin - Ng Pheng Siong <lsys@np.ac.sg>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCSA Httpd 1.3 for FBSD 1.1.5.1?

> Someone should note (so I will) that proxy use of the CERN httpd is
> very different than using it as a server itself.  Not that you can't
> do both, but I think maybe you can't do both with the same instance.

Yes, you can. I'm doing it right now.

BTW, there has been some concern regarding the security of CERN's bulky
common library code, wrt running it on a firewall. Some one at Boulder
is working on a simpler caching proxy. Can't recall off-hand, but I can dig
the reference up if anyone cares.

> One typical proxy configuration is use of the 'term' socket tunneling
> across a link, since NetScape is not source recompilable for 'term'
> support.

On a LAN, Socks is preferred.

> The typical recommended usage is on a firewall machine where outgoing
> connections are not allowed (perhaps without the knowledge that you
> can filter incoming packets without the response bit to allow outgoing
> connections without allowing incoming ones?).

Not all routers do that. Not everyone has control of their "outer" router(s).

Cheers.

- PS
--
Ng Pheng Siong * lsys@np.ac.sg * ngps@np.ac.sg
Computer Centre, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore