Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:25:02 +0100
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow system freeze

--nextPart1333816.ni5TEzTReL

Thanks for the detailed instructions, both of you. I'll see that I can=20
collect some information next time this happens (I can't really reproduce=20
it, it just happens about once a week).

> What still works when the system is frozen?  Can you switch VTYs?  Do\
> ping's work (from another system)?=20

VTY switching works at first (even switching to and from the running=20
Xorg), but eventually that stops working too. Haven't tested pings, I'll=20
try that next time.

As for the serial console... I guess I can get that working. I wanted to=20
buy an USB->Serial adapter for my laptop anyway (no, it's not the laptop=20
that's freezing, but the desktop machine, which does have a native serial=20
port).

Happy Holidays!
Benjamin