Date:      Sat, 04 May 2013 21:22:16 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Michael Bird <michael_bird@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ls(1), rm(1) - No such file or directory even though they are there.

Reference:

Michael Bird wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> There is a rather curious problem that I have, which I haven't encountered before.
> I make regular backups of my packages and put them onto an external usb drive,
> which is mounted read/write via sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.
>

> Now these backups don't exist no more and at the same time they are there. That
> is to say, upon issuing ls and/or rm on the command line I get rather strange results.
> Here are some of my outputs:
>

> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls
> [a long list that has been cut out]
> zip-3.0.tbz
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls zip-3.0.tbz
> ls: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory
>
> Some have files that (don't) exist have i-nodes and some haven't:
>
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls -i zip-3.0.tbz
> ls: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % ls -i linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz
> 2469 linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz
>
> Running rm on the folder I get "No such file or directory" for every single entry:
>
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % rm *
> [a long list that has been cut out]
> rm: linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz: No such file or directory
>
> Yet again some of the files can be test via gzip and some can't:
>
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % gzip -t linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2.tbz
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % echo $?
> 0
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages % gzip -t zip-3.0.tbz
> gzip: can't stat: zip-3.0.tbz: No such file or directory
> mike@machine1:/mnt/Programs/FreeBSD/91binaries/packages %
>

> Looks like the this part of the file system is corrupt. I also booted the drive up under
> Windows and got the same result. The files are there, but can't be read, overwritten
> or deleted.
>

> What does the list say about the above mentioned?

A better list to ask on:	 freebsd-fs@freebsd.org

I dont know if NTFS even has I nodes, or what one might expect ls
-i to sensibly return for that.

Obviously your FS is broken if both FreeBSD & MS are complaining, so fix it !
Either let MS fix it, or fuse-ntfs if there's a checker (cant remember)
Or failing that remove files, & remake the FS.

I've seen other problems with both methods of accessing NTFS,
only reason I use NTFS is when I Have to.  Making backups I'd never
call a "have to use NTFS" reason, so I never would for that, I'd
use UFS/FFS FS !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".