Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:06:04 +0000
From:      Mike Scott <mike@scottsonline.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems booting 8.x kernel

(Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum - I've tried on
cubf.misc, where it was suggested I come here. More apologies as I'm not
overly familiar with the bootup sequence, and have probably got some
terms wrong.)

Basically, I'm finding that the 8.1 and 8.2 kernels hang on certain
machines during bootup, specifically during device discover and module
load. I've tried 8.2 off the current release CD, and also 8.1 off the
Debian kfreebsd 6.0.0 distribution - both have the same issue.

Basically, the console gets as far as the messages
acd0: DVDR ...... at ata1-master UDMA66

and there it hangs.

If I run the boot in 'single step' mode (set boot_pause, set
boot_verbose), I find the one machine hangs consistently. The screen
shows at the bottom the text

fwip0: Firewire address: ...... maxrec 2048
fwohci0: Initiate bus reset
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset
fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: node_id=0x00000000, SelfID Count=1
  CYCLEMASTER mode
pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
<pause; press any key to proceed....>fwohci0: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset

and that's it. Dead as a dodo. (Can't check the other machine - it's the
one I'm typing this on :-)

OTOH if I disable usb and floppy in the bios, and do a 'boot -v', the
messages stop after
ata5: Identifying devices....
ata5: New devices 00000000
ATA pseudoRAID loaded
flowtable cleaner started

WHile a 'boot -v -p' reaches instead lines about atkbdc0, then atkbd0
and finally
atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0047

before hanging.

It suggests to me the final line shown is not particularly related to
the lockup, but that something else is happening behind the scenes.

Out of 4 machines I've tried this on, it hangs on two, and boots OK on
two. The OK ones are an acer laptop and a machine with IIRC an SiS
chipset - both machines that it fails on are (different) nf7s mobos, and
also have floppy (but disabling this does not fix the problem, it might
be changing the exact message though) and firewire (can't remove or
disable).

I'm at rather a loss; I've found nothing on the net to suggest there's a
general problem. I know an older version (6.2) of fbsd boots happily on
all four of these machines; the two failing machines are currently
running debian and dual-boot ubuntu/XP, so it's not a hardware fault as
such.

Any ideas please as to what's going on, or where best to look for more
information?

TIA.

--
Mike Scott