Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:01:22 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and natd confusion

On 20 Oct 98, at 13:31, Dan Langille wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up ipfw rules within rc.firewall using the
> simple model under 2.2.7.  I have some questions about two of the rules:
>
> 00700 deny ip from any to 192.168.0.0/16 via ed0

I thought this rule was to stop spoofing.  Then why does it stop me
getting outside?  I suspect an natd problem but have no proof.  In the
meantime, I've added this rule before the above and it seems to do what I
need:

   allow ip from any to 192.168.0.0/16 via ed0

Why are my IPS going tou via ed0 not being mapped to another IP before
they hit ed0?  Is my understanding of natd all wrong?

> 01300 deny log tcp from any to any in recv ed0 setup
> This prevents IRC connections from occurring.  I'm sure I can use some
> other set of rules to restrict this, but in the meantime, I've removed it.

This one has been fixed by doing the following rules:

01210 allow tcp from any to 210.55.210.87 194
01220 allow udp from any to 210.55.210.87 194

Thanks.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited