Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:20:42 +0100
From:      Gyrd Thane Lange <gyrd-se@thanelange.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

On 23.01.2013 15:40, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> However, I either overlook something important or we are now at the
> point we had with cvsup in the early days: The software I need to
> (source-)update the system doens't come with the base and installing svn
> is a PITA. [...]

It is not a well publicized fact, but I understand that the base utility
freebsd-update(8) through it's freebsd-update.conf(5) is able to pull
the base sources (/usr/src/) only instead of also updating your binaries.

less /etc/freebsd-update.conf

   # Components of the base system which should be kept updated.
   Components src world kernel

The above setting is the default, but you may easily leave out
everything but "src". (Caveat: I have not tried it myself yet.)
It also have some optional settings for preserving local changes to the
source instead of blowing them away (default).

This will allow you to use the sources for a custom build and install
yourself.

Also for ports we have the portsnap(8) utility, also in base. So it is
perfectly possible to get sources for everything using just the tools in
base. No csup or svnup is required.

Best regards,
Gyrd ^_^