Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 2015 16:53:25 -0400
From:      "William F. Dudley Jr." <wfdudley@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster -af fails due to dead port - HELP

Thanks to everybody for their help.

I am now much further along in my upgrade, which was complicated by the
fact that
this is a running server, and I didn't want to interrupt the users more
than a little
bit, so "delete all the ports, install all the packages" was less than
ideal for me.
(And this is just barely above "hobby level" stuff, so I don't have the
luxury of
building up a new machine and cutting over to it after it's ready.  The
upgrade has
to be done in place.)

I have found that I can replace the old ports with packages a little bit
at a time,
thus minimizing the outages.

The various bits of help with commands has been invaluable to me, and
though I might
have eventually figured this all out on my own, your help has greatly
sped the process.

I may sound like I'm some kind of noob, but in reality I've been running
FreeBSD since very
early on (pre-2000), but always as a "hobby", since being sysadmin
wasn't my day job.
So I've upgraded FreeBSD over many, many versions.  And historically,
upgrading the ports
was always a giant pain in the neck.  Now, it seems, the binary package
management is finally
working, and once I get all these legacy port builds out of the way,
upgrades should be
much simpler in the future.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Bill Dudley