Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:33:21 -0800
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about java

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I think what the poster was really asking is the same question I've
> often asked:  Why isn't the *SUN* JDK distribution a proper port?

Either the original port maintainer didn't understand the license or the
license was more restrictive for 1.0x code (I think it was the latter,
the license *did* change).

> Note that sources are not necessary at all to make a port - they're
> just ONE way...

Yes, we need a JDK-1.1 bin port. Maybe it could be a part source, part
binary port: the general classes can be left as source code and the
restricted classes (java and sun ?) can be left as object code.
Probably an arrangement with SUN is necessary anyway. I insist I'm not a
lawyer and I don't use java either.

--Pedro.