Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 12:32:49 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6llmann?= <koellmann@gmx.net>
To:        Brian Love <lovebot@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ReFormat Hard Drive

Brian Love wrote/schrieb (Sunday, May 07, 2000):

| After starting the make installworld part of the 3.4S ->4.0S cvsup
| update, I ran out of space in my / directory.  Even after moving and
| symlinking a number of directories, I am still faced with the fact that
| a 32Meg partition is too small.

A / of 32MB may not be much, but it's not necessarily too small:

(desk) k => uname -vm
FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #69: Tue Apr 25 03:42:46 CEST 2000
root@desk.home.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/desk  i386
(desk) k => df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s4a     39647    23985    12491    66%    /

For comparison:

(server) k => uname -vm
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #16: Mon May  1 13:24:25 CEST 2000
root@server.home.net:/usr/src/3-stable/src/sys/compile/server  i386
(server) k => df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a     31743    20085     9119    69%    /

You have /var and /tmp moved somewhere else? Do you have lots of
stuff in /root?

| Is there a moderated, approved, FreeBSD way to move all the data off the
| / directory and move it to another [...]
| directory, deleting, adding to and reformatting the slice with the
| partition and label editor, and dumping the data back onto the newly
| enlarged / partition? [...]

I don't know but I guess you should find out what's filling up /
before doing so.

Gruß
 - Thomas

--
"Yes," I said, "I talk too much. Lonely men always talk too much.
Either that or they don't talk at all. Shall we get down to business?"