Date:      Fri, 20 May 2011 13:26:59 +0100
From:      "Dave" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD compatible mini-itx board

On 19 May 2011 at 11:59, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On May 19, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Erik N=F8rgaard wrote:
> >> It indicates that they put faster RAM into the box, but ran it at a
> >> speed of 533MHz, which is slower than the memory is capable of
> >> running.  In some cases, doing this lets you run the RAM at lower
> >> voltage or with tighter timing settings of CL/tRCD/tTP/etc.
> >
> > Thanks, currently I have, well ancient RAM on an old VIA board and
> > it's not really any reliable. That with the flacky disk controller on
> > the VIA board is my reason to go Intel.
>
> Yeah, I have one of the VIA EPIA M6000 boards, and the IDE controller
> gets flaky under load if there is more than one device attached.
> Disabling the secondary channel on IRQ 15 helped some....
>
> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

With VIA mobo's any older than about 3 years, check the condition of all
the 1000uF/6.3V electrolytic caps scattered about the place.  Any
bulging, or showning brown crusty stuff (leakage) replace them.

Bad power rail decpoupling can cripple a system but present itself as one
particular subsystem acting up under specific conditions.

They don't fix themselves, they only get worse.

Regards.

DaveB.