Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:46:35 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

> > > I was
> > > wondering if anyone knew of a way to fix this, or if
> > > it will be fixed in the base system, or if there is
> > > some way to completely disable PNP in 4.2.
> >
> > There are no known problems with PnP in 4.2, so there's nothing that's
> > going to be fixed unless we can characterise your problem here.
>
> I'm confused.  Others have reported numerous bugs and/or misfeatures
> with the current code (including it failing on at least one ThinkPad
> laptop).

There's a great deal of confusion between "ISA PnP", "BIOS PnP", and
"Side-effects of BIOS PnP", as well as "reports that something might be
failing" and "known problems".

The Thinkpad problem appears to be a side-effect of calling the BIOS PnP
interface, but hasn't been characterised.  The problem above may or may
not actually be PnP related at all.  There are bugs in the PnP
implementation that I've left out of the discussion here because they're
not really relevant to the issue.

Perhaps it would be fairer to say "if what you're reporting is really
a lockup during the ISA PnP probe, then there are no known problems
related to that feature and thus no plans to fix it at this time".

Right now, however, the problem report does not contain enough detail to
guess at what is going wrong, let alone why.