Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 12:52:49 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maintainer note: Please commit ports/27453

Hey Espen,

Well, there may be a 4th alternative. And it's a fairly creative one IMO. From
my understanding you have 2 ports that both install the same file. Why not
change both ports so that the wrecked file is renamed, and then (sym|hard)link
to either one of the files?

Example:

 Old situation:
   Port A installs file ${PREFIX}/x
   Port B installs file ${PREFIX}/x

 New situation:
   Port A installs file ${PREFIX}/Ax and links ${PREFIX}/x -> ${PREFIX}/Ax
   Port B installs file ${PREFIX}/Bx and links ${PREFIX}/x -> ${PREFIX}/Bx

Deinstallation will however still be an issue.

One other alternative would be to create a separate port for that single file.
But that smells like a Bad Idea(TM).

Hmmm. Just trying to think creative ;)

/Ernst

Espen Skoglund wrote:
> [Espen Skoglund]
> > The following PR fixes an mtree problem with devel/arm-elf-gcc295:
> >
> >    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/27453
>
> Uhm, wait a minute, it seems that the file added to the plist
> (bin/arm-elf-c++filt) was also part of arm-elf-binutils.  What should
> one do when there are conflicts like this?  Should I:
>
>    a) Ignore the file in the gcc plist.  This will somehow work since
>       gcc depends on binutils anyway.  It will create errorlogs on
>       bento, though, and it seems like the wrong thing to do since it
>       will possibly leave you with files in the system which are
>       unaccounted for.
>
>    b) Add it to the gcc plist, remove it from the binutils plist, and
>       manually remove the file from the file system after make install
>       in arm-elf-binutils.  Since arm-elf-gcc295 is probably the only
>       port which will ever need this file, this seems like a working
>       solution.  It does, however, create a few problems if you
>       reinstall binutils after gcc has been installed (i.e., file will
>       be deleted).
>
>    c) Have the file in both plists.  Easiest solution.  Will ``break''
>       binutils if gcc is removed from the system.  If gcc is removed
>       on the other hand, there is probably no other port using
>       binutils anyway.
>
> Comments?
>

> 	eSk

Ernst de Haan
Java Architect
Jollem Information Technology

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ