Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:37:39 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp
Cc:        wc.bulte@chello.nl, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SM bus on VIA KX133 chipset?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 01:29:48AM +0900, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp wrote:

Watanabe-san,

thank you for your reply.

> In message <20000618140122.A73008@freebie.wbnet>, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 10:49:08AM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >> Since yesterday I finally have my Abit KA7 Athlon board online (I *hate*
> >> backordered CPUs..). It works like a charm, but I'd like to see if wmhm
> >> (hardware monitoring) can be made to work. Sofar starting wmhm gives me:

> 1.There is no SMBus support for Athron Chipset,and SMBus that connected to
> mother board cannot be controled with Bt8X8 I2C Bus,that is connected to
> TV tuner,etc.

Would it be difficult to add support for the VIA 82C686 chip? That is what
controls the SM bus on this board (Abit KA7). Interestingly (maybe) is that
there are 2 additional header connectors for SM bus connection. I have no
clue what hardware uses this.

> >    data=0xc94efd78 "\003") at smbus_if.c:37
> >#14 0xc01452ed in smbus_request_bus (bus=0xc0bdcb00, dev=0xc0bdca80, how=3)
> >    at ../../dev/smbus/smbconf.c:136
>
> 2. I think it is bktr driver's bug related to I2C interface.
> bktr driver has two way to access I2C Bus:one is I2C bit bang interface,
> another is controller access that issues I2C bus request. And it seems
> a bug of I2C Bit Bang interface.

Right... Whatever is the case a user program causing a kernel crash is a bad
thing.

thanks,
--
Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"