Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:32:37 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting buffer cache

>So, that is it!
>When my users try to copy very big directories the system simply prevent
>anyone else from spawwing any other process, return the followind:
>swapper: out of memory!
>
>Are you telling me that there is no way to prevent my users from eating
>all my memory ?

   Uh, I'm not sure what is generating that error, but it has nothing to do
with file caching. Sounds like you don't have enough swap space configured.
What version of FreeBSD are you using?

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.