Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:30:40 -0600
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my system doesn't recognize the two cd-rom units i have

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 08:16:59PM +0200, Razvan Cremenescu wrote:

> i installed the 4.4 release and did the cvsup on a periodic basis
> (daily) with full recompilation of the kernel.
> it now responds to "uname -a" with:
> "FreeBSD xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #7: Sun Mar 24
> 03:12:25 EET 2002     root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/xxxxx
> i386"
>

> but i have a problem. my system doesn't recognize the two cd-rom units i
> have. one of them is CD-RW.
> i checked the config file for the kernel and it has support for ATA
> drives.
>
> what can i do?

First, did the previous system see them both? If not, then you
might want to check the BIOS configuration, make sure that they
aren't both jumpered as master, and so forth. They _do_ both
have power applied, open when you push the button, and so on,
yes? That's a mistake I made last week.

If the old system did see them both properly, and the new system
doesn't, then does /var/run/dmesg.boot have a line for each of
the CD drives? If it does (see example below),

: acd0: CDROM <Pioneer CD-ROM ATAPI Model DR-744 0102> at ata1-master using PIO4

then you have a different problem, and need more help than I
can give you. If it doesn't, then you need to track _that_ down
and correct it. Probably there will be an error message where the
system tried to determine what was there and couldn't; that may
lead you to the cause.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx