Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:54:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Polytropon" <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "Tomasz Rola" <rtomek@ceti.pl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The recommended LaTeX port?

On Sun, August 19, 2018 11:05 am, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 17:05:55 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:

>> used
>> >
>> > This is currect, teTeX has been discontinued. The consensus
>> > is to use TeXlive which is in FreeBSD ports, but is offered
>> > for many other platforms, too.

>> > With TeXlive, you have the same tools (and more packages)
>>
>> In particular, pdftex and pdflatex are part of my TeXlive
>> installation. Although I would probably try a bit more traditional way
>> first, i.e. latex -> dvi -> dvips -> some ps2pdf converter, I have no
>> idea which "ps2pdf" is better/best. There is also dvipdf. Manpage for
>> pdftex mentions problems with including *.eps figures and *.ps files,
>> if you want to use those, they need to be converted to pdf files
>> first.
>
> The pdflatex command seems to be the most convenient
> tool to create PDF files

Well, as far as I know TeX in general and TeXlive incarnation in
particular, there two mutually exclusive ways to include pictures in TeX.
One of the ways is: adding pictures in one of the image formats (such as
jpeg, png, tiff, etc), then you can use pdflatex command to produce PDF
file. Alternatively, you can include images in EPS (Encapsulated
PostScript) format, then you typeset with command latex, that will produce
dvi file, which you can further convert as it is said above.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri