Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:35:43 +0000
From:      Michael Doyle <relyod@cooperationireland.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

On 7 Jan 2004, at 10:24, Paul Robinson wrote:

> I like the ideas over on DF, and I'll be trying it myself too.
> However, DF
> is to FBSD what OBSD is NBSD. It is possible that personalities may
> follow.

Is this such a bad thing? As far as I can see OpenBSD has developed a
"best of breed" reputation for security on a restricted set of hardware
compared
to NetBSD. They now occupy distinctly different niches, and there's room
for both. If DragonFly BSD and FreeBSD both evolve in different
directions
away from the point at which the fork occurred, then there should be a
place
for both in the long term future landscape.

(Note: I'm a system administrator who depends on FreeBSD to run the
vast majority (9 out of 11) servers in my small company. The only
development
that I do is Database/Website stuff, so I'm not competent to comment
with anything
other than a "user" perspective on Kernel programming issues.)