Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:58:30 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very old bug

Thus spake Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>:
> Simple solution: remove the floppy drive from your computer and
> replace it with a CD-ROM burner.  Floppies don't hold enough data to
> be of much use these days anyway, or at least so I find.  At any
> rate, this fix works for me.
>
> I mean, I guess it seems disturbing that this wasn't somehow fixed
> five years ago, but somewhat bizarre to tackle a floppy drive
> problem, of all things, in 2002.

I take your point.  Indeed, there exist more important problems;
however, the same can be said of most problems.  Certainly CDRWs are
superior in many regards, but that does not mean that floppies are
going away.  (A decade ago, people were saying that tape drives would
soon be history.)

Capacity is often not an issue, since the average size of text
documents doesn't double every 18 months except for MS Word users.
Not everyone has a CD burner or a DSL connection, and many systems
don't support booting from CD.  What about public workstations where
ordinary users are allowed access to the floppy drive?  This problem
may be low-priority, but I don't think it is entirely unworthy of a
fix.