Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:01:38 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem tuning (minimize seeks)

> > Yes, my test is running about 25-50 machines writing a 20mb file to the
> > FreeBSD box.  (The clients are FreeBSD as well).  The write is nothing
> > more than a dd.

I think maybe you've misunderstood my initial question.  What Filesystem
tuning options are there, or any suggestions, to reduce the amount of seeking
going on when N files are being created and written to at once.  I have N
machines, each one opens a file, writes out a chunk of data, then closes the
file.  Unfortunatly, because all 50 are doing this simultaneously, the data is
getting written to disk very non-sequentially (From a per file perspective).
Is there any options to UFS (or via NFSd?) to delay writes, or anything of
that nature to allow the data to be serialized more often than not?

> > What is the inode state that top displays?
>
> It doesn't really display inode state, that I'm aware of, only process
> state?

I mean, in top, what is the process state "inode" relating?  What is the
process blocking on at that point?

-Crh

      Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@sigbus.com

                       http://www.sigbus.com/~henrich