Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 14:46:11 +0100
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        khansen@njcc.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), capriotti@geocities.com (Capriotti), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

According to Ken Hansen:
> 	The current instal diskette is easliy as good as the install
> tools provided in comercial linux (Red Hat and Caldera) distributions,

IMHO, FreeBSD install is as good as any other for the novice user,
and probably better for the expert user. I saw a Caldera install
once... Extremely nice and flashy when you can choose the package
list under X11. But it *really* sucks (or at least, it sucked when
I saw it) when it comes to reporting disk I/O errors, for instance:
it just stuck there without any message, just as if it was extracting
the packages. After one hour or so you're still waiting for it without
any idea what is going on. It obviously makes problem solving that
much harder.

One real problem with GUI stuff of all kinds is that it's too often
designed without any error checking in mind. Especially when it's
just an install program that you use only once...
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr