Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:58:32 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Nilmoni Deb <ndeb@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        Theo Bell <freebsd@cfdnet.me.tuns.ca>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ports Magick Unclear, Proposal to demystify (Was: Re: adding a port)

On Wed 2000-08-30 (15:27), Nilmoni Deb wrote:
> > It does.  If it can't find it:
>
> It does not. What it gives (for FreeBSD 3.1 ) is something like
> 	"pkg.tar.gz doesnot seem to be in the system"
>
> There is no mention of any path.

True.  It doesn't seem to be in the handbook or the ports man page
either.  In this case, obviousness and user-friendliness should take
precedence.

For the manpage, I'd suggest adding something to:

     fetch      Fetch all of the files needed to build this port from the
                site(s) listed in MASTER_SITES and PATCH_SITES.  See FETCH_CMD
                and MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE.

Maybe:

"The files are placed in the location provided by the DISTDIR variable
by the user, and defaults to /usr/ports/distfiles if not provided.  If
the DIST_SUBDIR variable is set by the port, it is placed in the
subdirectory indicated by the variable."

In the handbook, a new section 4.2.1.3: Manually fetching and installing
distribution files.  This can say something like:

"If you already have the distribution file required by a port, you can
find where it looks for it with: make -V DISTDIR -V DIST_SUBDIR.  Place
it in the subdirectory (if any) indicated in the second line off the
directory on the first line.  For example, you may get:

/usr/ports/distfiles
squid2.2

You should then place the file in /usr/ports/distfiles/squid2.2.

If you want to find out a list of files a port needs, type 'make
fetch-list'."

I propose a target "wheredist" to return ${DISTDIR}/${DIST_SUBDIR} to
make the documentation and usage much easier.  I also propose that

            ${ECHO_MSG} ">> $$file doesn't seem to exist on this system."

be changed to:

            ${ECHO_MSG} ">> $$file doesn't seem to exist in ${DISTDIR}/${DIST_SUBDIR}."

Any other suggestions?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner