Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:33:44 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        bsd <bsd@todoo.biz>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating clone of a HDD including boot partition

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, bsd <bsd@todoo.biz> wrote:

Just to be precise, I am not trying to do an ISO image of a running root FS=
,
> but of a USB attached disk.
>
> =E2=80=A6

I did not apply the following steps for FreeBSD , but I have applied them i=
Mandriva Linux a few times :

Assume that the operating system is broken and it is not possible to repair
it ,
and the data files are not destroyed ( in Mandriva Linux , /home/ is in a
different partition ) .

I am removing power line of broken OS hard disk ( to prevent accidental
overwrite ) .
I am attaching a new hard disk .
I am installing the Mandriva Linux from scratch onto the new hard disk .
I am attaching the power line of previous hard disk .
I am mounting required partition(s)  of  the previous hard disk .
I am using copy from previous hard disk  with recursive parameter on
required directories .

After making a complete copy and verifying that everything is copied
properly ,
I am re-using the previous hard disk for another task ( mostly it remains o=
the same computer for a possible new recovery ) .

In that way , it is not necessary to use same size hard disks .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk