Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:03:50 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reporter on deadline seeks comment about reported security bug in FreeBSD

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:13:31 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:18:26 -0400
> > Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > > It's typical for security issues to be kept hushed until a fix is
> > > ready. As a result, there are usually no PRs, and in the case
> > > where the person who discovered the problem is amenable, there is
> > > no public discussion at all until a fix is available.
> > >
> > > Apparently, Mr. Frasunek started out down that path, which is
> > > admirable. It seems as if he doesn't have much patience, however,
> > > since he thinks that only 2 weeks is enough time to fix a security
> > > problem and QA the fix.
> >
> > I usually discover security problems with updates I receive from
> > <http://www.us-cert.gov/>. Aren't FreeBSD security problems
> > reported to their site? If not, why? IMHO, keeping users in the
> > dark to known security problems is not a serviceable protocol.
>
> Because releasing security advisories before there is a fix available
> is not responsible use of the information, and (as is being
> discussed) the fix is still in the works.

I disagree. If I have a medical problem, or what ever, I expect to be
informed of it. The fact that there is no known cure, fix, etc. is
immaterial, if in fact not grossly negligent. Being keep ignorant of a
security problem is as foolish a theory as "Security through Obscurity".

I find the <http://www.us-cert.gov/>; updates invaluable. The fact that
apparently FBSD does not encompass them I find discomforting.

BTW, please do not CC: me. I am subscribe to the list and do not need
multiple copies of the same post.

--
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com