Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:09:16 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD 8.3 amd64

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 10:14 -0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> You may also use at your discretion the portmaster tool?  It works
> very well and a nice example is given by W. Block:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html

Thank you Antonio :)

because I can't install FreeBSD by the 9.0 DVD, for what reason ever
this doesn't work, I installed it by the 8.3 DVD and will now make a
release upgrade. IIUC a release upgrade will rebuild everything, hence
there should be no dependency issues. My FreeBSD 8.3 is a fresh install,
I only set up PPPoE, anything else is default.
IIUC I need to take care about it to keep dependencies up to date, when
I don't upgrade the complete release, but just upgrade some software.

So, can I upgrade from 8.3 to 9.0, without taking care about
dependencies and take care about the link, when 9.0 is installed,
instead of doing it right now?

My apologize for the terrible English, I'm in a hurry, but wanted to
rely immediately and this makes broken English not better ;).

Regards,
Ralf