Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:26:29 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I implement true vps with FreeBSD as a host?

On 01/01/11 10:19, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Da Rock
> <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au
> <mailto:freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/01/11 02:34, Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:
>
>         Thanks in advance, for any input.
>
>     Have you checked into Xen specifically and how it works? I think
>     you're where I was at a while ago, and a little investigation will
>     change your mind. FWIW Xen is a hypervisor, and platforms need to
>     be able to run in it, not the other way around. Have a read up on
>     it anyway.
>

> Well yes Xen is a hypervisor, a type 1 and your OS needs to be
> specifically modified to run as a Dom0 or a paravirtualized DomU.
>
>     What you want I think is something like VirtualBox- comparatively
>     slower, but about the best for what it is.
>

> Whatever that means.  Vbox is just as fast as Xen for most
> applications give or take a little depending on what you're doing.
> About the only place Xen can beat out Vbox is with in networking
> performance with a guest using the virtio driver, however since I've
> not tested the newer Vbox which is supposed to better performance
> there.  It's pretty hard to get accurate meaningful benchmarks across
> a variety of hosts/guests/usage styles, but generally speaking Xen,
> KVM, and Vbox are in the same performance league despite the
> differences in hypervisors(Vbox and KVM are fairly similar here).
> VBox guests may also have significantly better IO performance.
>

> Xen's advantage now days lies in it's pci-pass-through support and all
> the tools built for using/managing it.  I think KVM may have pci
> pass-through support too, but haven't messed with it.  A lot of the
> tools support is more abstracted as well with things like libvirt.
>
> I like Vbox on FreeBSD for several reasons, but one of the main
> benefits is using ZVOL's as the storage backend.  You get a lot of the
> ZFS goodies in your VM that way.  You can create scripts to automate
> your functions, everything done in the GUI can be done in the CLI and
> more.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html

Benchmarks were taken on comparatively similar platforms with the same
hardware with the same battery of tests- although not all could be run
in all cases (I'll try and find the link again if I can). Xen guest was
found to be as close to running on bare hardware, whilst VBox and KVM
were about a quart slower. Each of those had their strengths and
weaknesses, though.

I'd recommend VBox too- but anyone know the status of USB support on
FreeBSD? That and RDP would be good.