Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:17:19 +0100
From:      Shaun Amott <shaun@FreeBSD.org>
To:        chukharev@mail.ru
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Detecting dependencies

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:06:03AM +0300, chukharev@mail.ru wrote:
> There have been a discussion about finding interdependencies of ports.
> I have a relatively simple Python script for that. There is a pr ports/16=
0007
> to add its early version. Unfortunately, I missed a reply to it, so there=
 is
> an issue which I have not yet addressed...
>=20
> Since that time, I added reverse dependencies with full ports tree scanni=
ng
> (1 h on my 2.5GHz notebook) and saving the tree (directed graph, actually)
> to a file, so that rescanning all ports tree is not needed.
>=20
> See http://code.google.com/p/porttree/
>=20
> If there will be interest, scanning packages interdependencies could
> also be added.

This looks like a useful tool. However, as Doug pointed out in another
thread ("Detecting dependencies"), its method is inadequate when it
comes to finding dependencies for shared library bumps. Specifically, it
won't find dependencies hidden by disabled OPTIONS knobs.

--=20
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson