Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:10:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        ruth moulton <ruth@muswell.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connecting NT and FBSD via tcp/ip over ethernet

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, ruth moulton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect an NT Workstation 4 Service Pack 3 pentium II
> to a FreeBSD 2.1 running on a Pentium, over BNC ethernet, using
> NE2000 compatable Kingston KT20 cards.
>
> I don't really mind what protocols I get going, but have a
> preference for tcp/ip to start with - I understand the protocols and
> it will allow me to let the FBSD box be a router to the Internet
> via my ppp dial in from there.
>
> But I cannot get it going. The symptom is that, having configured it
> all up, when I
>
>   ping the NT machine from FBSD,
>     arp -r on NT shows the correct ethernet address of FBSD
>     arp -r on FBSD shows incomplete instead of ethernet address of NT
>   and the ping itself reports 'sendto: Host is down'
>
>   ping the FBSD machine from NT and it makes no difference to
>    arp tables on either machine, the ping simply reports
>    'request times out'.
>
> some things about the setup:
>
>   I'm using host tables on both machines, no DNS as yet
>
>   on FBSD, the ifconfig command is
>    ifconfig ed0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 255.255.255.0,
>    giving
>   ed0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 255.255.255.0

That doesn't seem to make much sense.  I assume you want FBSD to be .1
since you want to use it as a router.

ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

It can also be set in /etc/rc.conf.  Look for ifconfig_ed0=""

>   I'm using the private net number 192.168.0
>

>   on NT I only have the 'tcp/ip protocol' configured
>
>   on FBSD netstat -r shows
>
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> localhost        localhost          UH          1       23       lo0
> 158.152.1.222    muswell            UH          1        0      tun0
> muswell          localhost          UGHS        1        0       lo0
> 192.168          link#1             UC          1        0
> nt.home          link#1             UHRLW       0        8       ed0     14
>
>  where nt.home is the nt machine
>
> on someone's  reccomendation I've tried it with the ethernet
> board configured to both plug-and-play and NOT configured to PnP
> on the FBSD box
>
> the boards pass the receive/send hardware tests, and the appearance
> of the FBSD machine's address in the NT's arp table, lead me to
> believe the hardware and cabling are working.
>
> I've looked through the mail archives and it's obvious that some
> people have got this going, but not me!!!
>
> tcpdump can't run (yet) as /dev/bpf is not configured on FBSD,
> I presume that I need to remake the kernel, so will try doing this
> and looking at the packets on the net,

Yup, remake with:

pseudo-device	bpfilter	4

in the kernel config file.