Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:42:33 +0000
From:      Ben Paley <ben@spooty.net>
To:        chris@monochrome.org
Cc:        saul.hood@gmail.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What's that filesystem for a usb flash drive?

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Saul Mena Avila wrote:
> > Hello!. I've been trying to mount my flash memory but it just doesn't
> > let me.
> > I use (as root):
> >
> > mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad0 /flash

try 'msdos' instead of 'msdosfs'

> Are you sure that /dev/ad0 is actually your flash device? That doesn't
> look right to me. What is the physical interface to your flash memory?
> That is, is it USB, a PCMCIA card, or what?

My usb flash drives always show up as da devices, not ad. Have a look in /dev
to see what nodes are actually there, and especially look at tty0 when you
plug the drive in - you should get an informative console message and perhaps
find its da1 or da2 even (depending on what other usb devices are attached, I
think).

Also you may need to mount a slice, like da0s1, as I do. In summary, the
command which works for me is:

# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /flash

Good luck,
Ben