Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:12:02 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        kwok <cckok00@stlinux.ouhk.edu.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hello

kwok wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to know the following
>
> 1)    under the home directory, there is file 'xsm.core'
> what is the meaning of this file?

It's a core file, a dump of that processes (the process previously called:
xsm) address space. It can be handy for debugging... You can delete it if your
not going to use it for debugging...

> 2)    i couldn't type '%' sign, how to map my keybroad?

Go into /stand and run ./sysinstall - from there go for 'configure',
'console', 'keymap' - and select the right keymap you need... :)

> 3)    i create file 'c program' by vi, using cc to compile it or chmod
> +x
> when i run it by a.out or original excution file.  it prompts 'not
> found'
> why is it?  use command 'ls', the file is exited!

Because for safety reasons (to stop someone from putting Trojan programs on
the system with names like 'ls') - by default the path to run programs from
doesn't include the current directory...

Doing:

./a.out

Should run the program for you...

-Kp