Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:56:47 -0600
From:      Timothy Kettering <timster@blackcore.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Java <java@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Incorrect timestamps with native 1.3.1 jdk?

I searched the freebsd archives, and could only find one reference (from ma=
2000) to a similar problem with jvm 1.2.2, and no solution was posted.  I
hate asking on listservs, but I'm stuck here and would like to fix this.

I'm running 4.5 STABLE and using javavm 1.3.1 native (all installed via
ports)

The problem I have is that I'm getting timestamps that seem incorrect.  I
wrote a very simple test application that instances a current Date object,
then spits out the timestamp in a long format.  I compared that with the
timestamp that's returned on my OSX development machine which I ran at the
same time. =20

They're really different (more than just a few milliseconds difference).  I
did more investigation by formatting the date to a string using
SimpleDateFormat and I'm seeing that the freebsd java implementation appear=
to be 12 hours ahead of the current time.  Running the same application on
my OSX box returns the current time correctly.  I.e. If it were 4PM now, th=
java application on the freebsd box would say its 4AM the next day.

I checked the server clock to be sure, and the server clock is set to the
correct time and timezone.

I checked the system properties, and the freebsd jvm doesn=B9t report anythin=
for the user.timezone.  (returns an empty string), on my OSX machine, the
same program returns an empty string as well.  I checked that and other
system properties which were returned, as part of a loop, so it can't
because I coded it wrong or something.

So, I guess what I'm asking is ideas or suggestions from more experienced
java developers on where I should be looking to try to figure out this.  I'=
thinking that mabye the freebsd jvm didn=B9t get the system values correctly,
and if not, how do I set them?

I'm in CST (central standard time, GMT +600) if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

--=20
Tim
http://www.blackcore.com