Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2019 00:29:07 -0000
From:      Jonesy <SPAM_TRAP_gmane@jonz.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   grep -b, --byte-offset returns 0

(I'm not sure if I can post to this list via nntp/gmane...)

grep'ping for a byte offset always returns 0 for the result.
Searching "FreeBSD Bugzilla – Bug List" shows no other reports.

Ubuntu 16.04:

jonesy@nix5:~$ a='now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party'
jonesy@nix5:~$ echo $a | grep -b -o  good
24:good

FreeBSD 12.1

[jonz~]a='now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party'
[jonz~]echo $a | grep -b -o  good
0:good

I have just now created a login at bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/
and reported this bug there, but I am unsure if I did it all
correctly.   :-)

Can someone confirm my findings?

Thank you,
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD