Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:46:01 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ypserv (fixed... I think)

To those of us experiencing problems with ypserv, I have made a copy of
my binary available at:

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SETUP AND ADMINED A NIS DOMAIN!
THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd/FreeBSD/ypserv
MD5 (ypserv) = 1f1c6c01eafd690059b32e615e5b6efc

It is binary only at this point primarily due to license issues (I borrowed
heavily from BDB in my rewrite, and I have not credited things yet.

This code represents the following changes:

1) Fix of a bug in librpc.
2) Fix of some race-conditions in ypserv
3) rewrite of libdb/hash

I would like people to download it and give it a whirl.  I would recommend
the following actions for people wishing to try the code:

1) get a dump of all of your existing ypmaps, for all domains (if you have
   multiple) via ypcat -k MAPNAME.  you can see all of your maps in
   "/var/yp/DOMAIN/map"

2) Get the start-time, CPU usage, size, RSS, etc of your current ypserv
   process... save this

3) mv /usr/sbin/ypserv /usr/sbin/ypserv.orig.. cp NEWYPSERV /usr/sbin...
   killall ypserv, /usr/sbin/ypserv -FLAGS, rm /ypserv.core,
   (see previous ypserv information, or consult /etc/rc.conf,
   /etc/defaults/rc.conf)

4) get a ypcat -k MAPNAME again.. compare the output of this to the
   previous ypserv.  if there are _any_ differences (including order of output
   of the keys, LET ME KNOW.

5) write a script to pull the first "word" from the previously saved dump-files
   (cut -d " " -f 1) <-- works for my maps, feed this into
   'ypmatch -k $field MAPNAME >>anothersavefile' this should also be IDENTICAL
   to the 'ypcat -k' in the previous example.

6) At some future date (after this ypserv has been running about as long as
   the 'original' ypserv, get its information (Size, RSS, CPU, etc) and
   compare them, I am curious.

7) Verify there is no /ypserv.core, ever again.

8) I cannot stress heavily enough, this is for people willing to
   experiment with their systems, if you don't understand NIS, DON'T
   DO THIS!

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall