Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:11:12 -0800
From:      Richard Dawes <rdawes@epstais.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is 'make index' broken?  Suggestions?

Greetings!

I'm not a ports developer or maintainer, but I'm curious...

For a while now, it seems, I haven't been able to generate
a valid INDEX file, and the one I can cvsup is now a couple
weeks old...

FTR, I am past all the portupgrade issues.  I haven't seen
any postings about this specically, but I'm wondering if
this has anything to do with Kris's repeated "INDEX build
failed" postings - which appear to be some sort of automatic
output for ports developers.

I have been getting similar "make_index: ... no entry..."
output, which for me keeps ending like so:

make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1
Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:
 Done.

Then, for portupgrade to work much at all, I have to restore
a backup copy of INDEX...

Any suggestions?  If this is some known situation, would
someone kindly point me to an online discussion/explanation
available?  Thanks!!

-Rich

--

Richard Dawes