Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 16:23:30 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        pir@pir.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: applix 5.0 failing

Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net> types:
> Since my last cvsup/build world to 4.3-STABLE from one of the RCs
> applix 5.0 has been failing to run with;
>
> pir@mrow> applix
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtk12.so.2: Undefined symbol
>  "getresuid"
>  axnet error, axmain already started.
>
> The machines which are still at 4.2-R or 4.2-S (as of Feb 3rd) work
> fine.
>
> I've tried recompiling gtk and glib from ports, in case some symbols
> have changed but no joy. I can't recompile or otherwise change applix,
> since it's a binary product.
>
> Any idea what has changed here ?

The problem is that getresuid is now available in a library that
Applixware doesn't link dynamically. The gtk port finds it at config
time, and tries to use it. When invoked from Applixware, it can't find
it because the library is missing, and you get the result you see
here.

The gtk port maintainer claims that Applixware is at fault for not
having statically linked gtk. I'm not sufficiently conversant with
FreeBSD's shared library mechanisms, but I figure that the gtk library
should dynamically link in all the libraries it needs. Since that
isn't happening, you have to work around the problem.

If you clean the gtk port, then do "make config", you can go back and
turn off HAVE_GETRESUID by hand in the appropriate include file.  I
forget the details, but I've been through it a couple of times. The
resulting gtk library will then use a workaround so that you don't
lose any functionality.

	<mike