Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:07:21 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net>, Matt Douhan <matt@hasta.se>
Cc:        amd64 freebsd <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SV: Packages/Ports problem

On Thursday 11 December 2003 06:13 am, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Matt Douhan wrote:
> >>Is there any way to tell what all will get installed when I make
> >>something? Or do I need to take care of dependencies myself?
> >>I'm used to Debian and Gentoo and not familiar with how FreeBSD handles
> >>dependencies and such.
> >
> > It is handled automatically by the ports system
>
> Good. :)
>
> I know FreeBSD was much of the inspiration for the Gentoo main developer.
>
> >>Peter has cvsup-without-gui on his FreeBSD site.
> >>I just haven't been able to get it.
> >>To my understanding I currently only have the ftp program on my machine.
> >>I don't know how to use it to get the package.
> >
> > pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
>
> That has failed with something like no such file on server error.
>
> But I'm about to do a fresh install this afternoon/evening after I redo
> my partions and will try again.

That would be because the port for cvsup hasn't been finished yet.  I do  have
a hacked up cvsup binary that might be enough to get you going.

  fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/cvsup-without-gui-16.1h.tbz
  pkg_add cvsup-without-gui-16.1h.tbz

Known problems:  you cannot use compression.  If you set 'compress' on any of
your supfiles, it will crash.

-Peter