Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 2004 00:38:54 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
Cc:        eqe-support@cox.net
Subject:   Re: can't compile much

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:30:46AM -0600, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:55:14 -0500
> <eqe-support@cox.net> wrote:
>=20
> > I tryed compiling a few things like gnome2 and imlib.5 and keep
> > geting the same message:=20
> >=20
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1:shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
> > *** Error code 1
> > Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/imlib.
> > *** Error code 1
> > =20
> > I just upgraded to 5.2.1 from cd and then cvsup to latest sources
> > then make world and kernel after all of that I got these errors
> > trying to compile stuff using ports
>=20
> Odd, did not think it would pop up from just updating it like that...
>=20
> Gettext problem most likely... either create a sym link pointing to
> libintl.so.6 or recompile gettext... reinstalling gettext may help
> too...

This advice is wrong.  Library major versions usually happen because
the new version is not binary compatible with the old, so you may run
into problems if you pretend they're compatible by installing a
symlink.

The fix is to recompile everything that depends on gettext to get it
relinked against the new version.  portupgrade -fr gettext can help
with this.

> BTW should this not be going to the current mailing list?

Ports problems should usually be discussed on the ports mailing list.

Kris

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7--