Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:42:27 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 21st Century Unix - web serving

At 10:30 AM +0900 3/21/00, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>Unheedful of thy elder's warnings, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >
> > What's even more interesting (and disappointing) is that the summary
> > contradicts the body; they list Yahoo and Hotmail as examples of
> > FreeBSD being the best web server OS (ISTR words to the effect that
> > "FreeBSD + Solaris is the killer combo"), while the summary lists
> > Linux as favorite for "advanced web service" and relegate FreeBSD to
> > "simple web service".
>
>A careful reading reveals that, for "advanced web services", Linux has
>the upper hand "in the end" (in the future, something like this) because
>web authoring software is more likely to be developed for it than for
>[others].
>
>Of course, I'm not even going to discuss how absurd that argument is.

I assumed "advanced web serving" means packages like ColdFusion.
Ignoring the question of whether ColdFusion is really "advanced" or
not, I do know one department on campus here might be switching from
NT to FreeBSD if they can run ColdFusion on FreeBSD.  I do not have
much background in web-serving options, but I'm under the impression
that ColdFusion is available RIGHT NOW for Linux, and I don't know
how well it would work under FreeBSD.

Note that what I'm really hoping here is that someone will pipe up
and say "Oh, yes, I have no trouble running ColdFusion on FreeBSD",
which would be encouraging to me...   :-)  Maybe it can be run under
linux emulation, but given that all this machine will be doing is
web-serving and ColdFusion, then there seems little point in using
FreeBSD if the only way to run ColdFusion is via linux emulation.

(we don't have the machine or the time to test right now, but hope
to look into this in a month or two.  Right now my guess is that
they will end up running linux for this web service)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute