Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:43:12 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gptzfsboot grew a lot after skein support was added; need knob to control bloat

On 28/1/17 4:16 am, Ngie Cooper wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 2017, at 09:05, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious why you can't find the space for a bigger partition?
>> Almost all drives these days are partitioned with a little wasted
>> space, and that wasted space should be more than enough to cover us
>> here. Also, most drives have a swap partition that can be shrunk a
>> trivial amount to get space for this...
> Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom (IIRC) I put the zfs partition before the swap partition.
>
> We have a similar problem at work with sys/boot unfortunately, but that's a side discussion for another time/place.
>
> Thank you for the idea though -- I'll check when I get back to work.

at $JOB we are just testing a script that expands the root zfs
partition on in-field appliances by shaving a bit off swap and
cannibalising a small data partition we don't really use. I see we
only left 64K for the boot part. It's big enough for us for now, but
possibly we should fix that as well.
We have a mirror setup for system disks so we have the ability to take
each system drive offline one at a time and rearrange it and then
re-add the root partition to the mirror.
What are the chances a regular gpt+ZFS (no encrypt) bootblock will
grow over 64K?