Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:19:20 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkgdb and stale dependencies

On Monday 10 June 2002 08:45 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using a combination of pkgdb (called with -FuU as options) and
> portupgrade to keep my system up to date. Unfortunately I have usually
> done this in a fairly thoughtless manner, accepting the dependency
> resolutions offered by the system (which, in my defense, have usually
> seemed pretty reasonable).
>
> This doesn't seem to be working terribly well any more, and I'm wondering
> how to get the information I need to make intelligent decisions when pkgdb
> -FuU presents me with a choice such as the following:
>
> Stale dependency: arts_1.0.0_1 -> XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_1:
> XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.6.9 (score: 44%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]
>
> If I hit Enter here, with the no default, I get
>
> New dependency? (? to help):
>
> And eventually wind up in a place where I have to make a decision between
> 400 odd packages. Winnowing out many of these is easy, but how best to
> resolve the dependency in question remains ... and stale dependencies are
> coming up a lot when I run pkgdb.
>
> Am I just missing something obvious? I welcome RTFM if someone will tell me
> which manual will help. ":)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Best,
>
> Glenn Becker

After a cvsup I use the following to see which ports need update:

pkg_version -l '<'

You shouldn't need to run pkgdb unless your ports get out of sync with what's
registered.

Then use portupgrade -r or -R (see man portupgrade) to upgrade. It does a
very good job of keeping the dependencies current.

Beech
      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957