Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:47:23 -0400
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 7.1 amd64 on Dell powerEdge 2950

Olivier Nicole wrote:
> I spent a couple of days trying to install FreeBSD 7.1 amd64 on a Dell
> PowerEdge 2950.
>
> It won't finish booting properly from the installation CD

I've had(and have) several fairly new Dell PowerEdge2950 servers running
FreeBSD 7.1/amd64 just fine.  Is this a brand new 2950 (2950 III, or
whatever), or an older one?  I'd make sure that the BIOS, BMC, and PERC
(if you have one) firmwares are all up to date.  Barring that, have you
tried another installation CD?